Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Boxoffice #s and why some have problems finding it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Boxoffice #s and why some have problems finding it Reply with quote

From Reuters: Not doing so well was "The Truth About Charlie," a remake of the Audrey Hepburn-Cary Grant caper "Charade." It opened at No. 14 with just $2.3 million, albeit from just 752 theaters (vs. more than 2,500 for each of the top four films). "Charlie," which starred Mark Wahlberg and Thandie Newton, was released by Universal Pictures, a unit of Vivendi Universal SA.
-----------
Now this is the smallest opening I've seen from what was a major motion picture (it cost $50 mil to make). Last I read was it was supposed to open in 2000 theatres not 700+. Its a wonder you guys couldn't find it. Geez, that means CA prob got 30% of them since I had 30 theatres in a 15 mile radius.

Anyway, it did OK for the amount of theatres it did play at, avg about $3000 each. Not spectacular, but good.

Anyway, its hard to tell what Universal is thinking. If they're doing the indie film direction, they might add more theatres since its since gotten some positive reviews from the major papers around the country.

So as I said before, you need to pass the word around that people should watch Charlie and not that stupid JackA** movie, they can watch that stuff on TV everyday on MTV.
Tigger00Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that explains the reason why I had to drive an hour to see it yesterday. There are about 10 theaters reasonably close to where I live and none of them had it. One of them actually was playing Jack*** on 3 screens!!! That really frosted my cookies. But it was well worth the drive.
City Gal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, I wonder if we will all have the same problem then, I'm waiting for the UK release, It better be showing near me.
Phillygirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I didn't even consider any of that. It was in the theatre I normally go to and I've seen it twice with no problems. The theatre was not so crowded the first time but that was probably because it was a weekday and when I saw it on the weekend, the theatre had a nice showing of people.
Baby Junior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same for me. They were barely playing it and I had to drive all the way to a different county to see it but it wasn't that far.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C we will probably be able to buy it on US dvd very soon after the cinema release here.I did that with Rock Star.
josie651971

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a good movie though! Y should it matter if it's a remake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: