Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
About Mark, Leo, and Drugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Basketball Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~StephMW~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:52 pm    Post subject: About Mark, Leo, and Drugs Reply with quote

Hi guys I haven't been on the Basketball Diaries Forum in a while and I realized there aren't that many threads...hmmmmm...Oh well...I have something to comment on ...

Ok I really like the movie yet it is very depressing and it is hard to watch drug related issues...at least for me it is cause a lot of actors including one of my favorites (River Phenoix) have died from drug overdose. I know they aren't really taking the drugs but I might influence their decisions. OK LET ME GET TO THE POINT...

Ok u know the part where Jim is in Reggie's apartment and he like literally dying for drugs, well i think that was one of the toughest scenes to watch. I mean as much as I dis-like Leonardo DiCaprio he did an EXCELLENT job in the film especailly in that part where he was sweating and stuff in Reggie's apertment.

My question is...Do you think that Mark could have done as good a job? I LOVE Mark but i think he was just getting into acting and experimenting with new roles. Leonardo DiCaprio was already very experienced in acting. If you've seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape you'll see what I'm talkig about...he played a retarded boy and got an Oscar Nomination for that (I might be wrong). Although Mark had the street act down perfectly , I still thjink it was a role for Leo. What do you guys think? I think Mark could act better then Leo now that he's more experienced in acting...

Steph

PrEtTyInYeLo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey steph...i think that mark could have done a better job then leo...i know he wuz JUST getting in to acting and experimenting with roles and his options but STILL...mark had to go thru wut leo actually went through in the movie...i mean he dropped out of highschool and lived and the streets and did drougs...he had the whole bad boy thing down...and he experienced the situation himself...you know? i mean i think leo did a good job but some how i feel that he didnt quite fit the role...unlike mickey (mark) even with that small little part that he had in the movie...you could still tell that he could have done a great job as leo's part!!!

~shiri~

mark's lil angel
nat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, but as much as i love mark, leo had done the best job.
i think that mark's character fit just perfect with mark coz' he's the type to always get into fights & always have some extreme thing to do.
i'm not bagging mark or anything coz' i love him too much, but with leo's past history with character roles, he's got some up his slevee's.
Melody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think leo `s got a lil`bit mo talent than mark. I really liked his performance in this movie. I mean , he really made it realistic looking. Do u know how hard it must have been to act like that? and esp. at the end where he cries? sheeesh cabob! He must have had a lot a practice. I admire his talent. But then again mark was still very good. My fav part was when all three were in the locker room, and then pedro says"oh im ur friend now right?"-mark-"what i gotta smack u again c`mon!" Now THAT was funny!
Baby Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen Basket Ball Diaries so I can't say anything.
Melody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u wanna come in here, i suggest u watch it. U don't want anybody spoiling it for u do u?
hisgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Leo played that part so well, he made ME cry when he was going through withdrawals. He played it to perfection. You almost felt like it was happening to YOU.
ShInInG sTaR 2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'll have to disagree with Steph here .... As much as I love Mark to bits and think he's a great actor, I do think that Leo's a better actor. Maybe this is because Leo has done a huge range of roles and it's challenged his acting ability, whereas Mark's range of roles doesn't go very far. I think Leo was perfect in this role of Jim Carroll, especially as there are similarities as to how they both look. So, if Mark had played Jim, I don't think he would have done better, personally. Mark did a great job as Mickey though. His performance was great!!!
efactor
Call Me ''E''

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of you know that this movie is where I met Mark and, I was the drug consultant on the movie, I taught them all how to act high so they would not get high, as most actors will go to extremes for there characters...One more fact, the role of Jim was originally going to be played by River Phoenix and due to his overdose, the producers were really scared and so they found me and hired me to help them, I gave Leo and Mark as much life experience as I could give them and worked even harder with Leo, just because he wanted it all...I hope this info helps and with all due respect the parts were cast correctly, if you ever saw Jim Carrol you would understand that...and he is in the movie with a scene with Leo....ok as always...One Love...E
OdVib

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All actors have different styles. I think Leo was very good as Jim and Mark was Micky. The withdrawl period was well acted I think. Could Mark do it? I think he could, but it would be different to what Leo did it like. Better or worse, I don't know. Just his expierences and different acting styles and stuff would influence how he acts and how he portrays him.

I would love to act a scene like that out, tis quite powerful.

... I posted this in wrong place first then deleted it. Sorry about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Basketball Diaries All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: