Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
read if you saw the movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWahlbergsNumberOneFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:58 pm    Post subject: read if you saw the movie Reply with quote

can someone please explain to me the main business in the movie? im watching it now and i dont really get it. i also got really upset when the cop was beating mark.. but its a GGREEATT movie so far!!
butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol....great minds think alike!
We've both posted and watched it at the same time.

I'm not too sure about the business either, I think I'll watch it again, the film doesn't go into anything really in great detail which I think has let it down.
But it's still a good film.
MarkWahlbergsNumberOneFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN! at one point where hes hugging charlize you can really see his arm muscle! HES SO HOT and his great personality and acting skills add to it a LOTTTTTTT.. wow im impressed .. this movie rocks (even tho i dont quite get it..)
butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
i don't believe you said that.
I thought the same thing, I was like OMG look at those biceps, his t-shirt is so tight you can see his 'Bob' tattoo through it and then I noticed the chain tattooed on the back of his neck.
obsessedwithmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i just watched this movie for like the first time 3 days ago too....and i have to ask why was he in jail in the fist place?? i didnt catch that! was that where he was?? thax, !
Limerick Chick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was in jail for stealing a few cars (16 months! Brutal,eh? It was just a car! People can live with out cars!Oh well).
ILOVEMark4eva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I really want to see "the yards" because well you know! But anyway I was wondering what the story line is? Thanks.
Lauren
MalGal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yards is by far my favorite Wahlberg movie. I think it is his best performance (far better than POTA..sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but he just wasn't that good...mostly because his character wasn't written that well) Anyways, it is a little confusing, though...Basically, he's (Mark..his character's name is Leo-same as POTA!) in jail because of trouble he and some of his buddies got into (the stealing cars business that i think has already been cleared up in another post...) and he took the fall for his buddies and was the only one put in jail. Then he gets out and his buddy (joaquin phoenix..who is awesome in the movie!) helps him find work in the family business, which has to do with trains. One night, joaquin (i can't remember his character's name), leo, and a few other guys go into one of the train yards to screw around with and bascially destroy some of their competition's trains. they have a deal with guy in charge of the train yards, that he will let them wreck the trains but he turns on them and calls the cops. mark was left on the look out and when the first cop comes, he doesn't know what to do so he hits him on the head. joaquin kills the guy who called the cops, but mark gets blamed for it. so basically (sorry this is so long!) mark has to leave and his uncle(who is in charge of the train company) wants joaquin to kill him (so that his company doesn't get in trouble. i won't tell the ending just in case someone reads this who hasn't seen it.

If you haven't seen it, go out and rent it right now! It is seriously a really great movie and mark is excellent in it!
<3, malgal
Deejay528

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I did not really enjoy this movie. I have enjoyed all the other movies he has done so far. The movie "the yards" story was missing elements. I guess that happens sometimes with some movies.
MarksGrl22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok- i'm not sure if this question was answered lol.. you girls got a lil off track with his muscles hehe... but i think the main business if like a lawyer thing isn't it? cause remember that guy was tryin to get Leo and Willy to work for him.. and then in the end when Leo comes clean.. Willy tries to call him and he says he's too late.. and then it shows Leo in court with them... but i could be wrong..
Kathleen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The family business is to make parts for trains. The corruption involved revolves around how those contracts are obtained from city officials.

Destroying the parts made by another company ruins their chances of renewing profitable business contracts.

One of the things I liked so much was the ambiquity on who was a "good guy" and who was a "bad guy" like the part where they are out to get Leo. The uncle said "take care of it" to Joaquin ...did he take it upon himself to decide that means kill Leo. The Aunt said "whatever it takes" but did she mean murdering her beloved sister's son?? It's implied but not stated it lets the audience decide guilt and intent.

I loved this movie and have seen it 2x. I'll watch it over and over when its free on hbo. The "business" got a little confusing but try it again you may enjoyit more the 2nd time around

markydirk88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't like the movie that much he used his acting skills in it but the whole consept of the movie i thought was kinda dull, i never saw it come out to the theatre did anyone else?
MarksGrl22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.. i don't think it ever made it to theaters.... that's a first isn't it?
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did make into theatres just not many and most were pulled out after 2 weeks. Just awful marketing and effort from Miramax. I posted a couple articles about it back in winter 2000. If you can't find it here, go to my site and look at the 2000 index, it was a LA Times article.

Lianne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Yards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: