Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Really Disappointed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fizzabel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 6:44 pm    Post subject: Really Disappointed! Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just saw the perfect storm and I'm sorry to say I didn't really like it much at all. Mark was fantastic, and I thought that all the action bits when they're out at sea were soooo good, but the sentimental stuff at the beginning was just a little too cliched for me. And the women were all really bad actresses - his mum, his girlfriend and that chunky woman, sorry, but I just didn't believe them at all. I thought it was terrible the way he got away and then made that speech to his fiancee in the middle of the ocean and gave up! Forget 'only love' - swim for the love of God man, swim for your life! Don't get me wrong - the film was entertaining enough and Mark is definately the greatest. I was just expecting something better than what I got. But I think I'm on my own on this one as everyone seemed to really like it LOL. I didn't cry - but I did feel this really weird need to go and watch a Mark video just to reassure myself he was still alive and well. I'm a silly girl eh? please write and let me know what you think. luv always fizz XXX
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kinda understand what you mean. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie but I thought some parts were sort of cheesey. Thats doesn't matter though, Mark was still awesome!
Luv Dusty
*TiGerLiLy*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not alone fizz. i think there are a couple other Mark fans who didnt like it all that much too.

for me, i thought it was pretty good. it was entertaining, the FX were really really great...and Mark did a dam* good job. but i did think alot of parts were really cheesy. especially that stuff he was saying to christina at the end. i still cried and thought it was sad. but mostly b/c i was thinking about the real crew on the andrea gail, and their families. my heart goes out to them.
it left me depressed after it was over, and i usually don't like those kind of movies. i like fun ones..comedies.

haha the only thing i was thinking of afterwards (mark-related) was how much i wanted to see Metal God now. b/c it's a comedy, and it will probably be on of those movies u can see over and over again without getting bored with it. i cant wait!
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fizz, just to let you know you're not alone, I totally agree with you. Here is the comment I posted on the Internet Movie Database:

Date: 2 July 2000
Summary: Great story, terrific cast sunk by crummy screenplay

******SPOILERS******

I had looked forward to seeing "The Perfect Storm" for the last couple of months. Ever since seeing "Boogie Nights" on cable I've been an enthusiastic Mark Wahlberg fan. Wahlberg and George Clooney had great rapport in "Three Kings," and my expectations for TPS were raised even higher when I learned that John C. Reilly (so terrific in "Boogie Nights") was going to be in it as well. It also sounded like a riveting story.

Well, I am sorry to report that TPS was a major disappointment. 6 stars out of 10, tops. Even though it breaks many of the conventions of the Hollywood blockbuster -- unglamorous characters, unhappy ending -- it ends up being just another big movie where the special effects overwhelm the human side of the story. Not because the F/X are so good (yes, they're impressive, though the computerized water still looks a bit fake much of the time) but because the human side is so badly developed and badly written.

The actors, for the most part, do the best they can with their paper-thin characters. Clooney, I thought, was no more than OK as Captain Billy Tyne (he was much better in "Three Kings"). John C. Reilly, as Murph, was very affecting in the scene with his son, but then after that he had nothing to do except for that stupid feud with William Fichtner's character, Sully (which had no point except to set the stage for the cliche scene where Sully saves his life and they finally bond). Wahlberg, as Bobby Shatford, was excellent in the early scenes with Lane and with his mother (convincing performance by Janet Wright as the mother, but Lane mostly alternates between two one-key modes: shrill and grieving). Once on the boat, though, he and Clooney had surprisingly little chemistry.

What's more, there is a major problem with the characterization of Bobby Shatford, Wahlberg's character. In the scenes with his girlfriend Christine (Diane Lane), it's pretty clear that Bobby wants nothing more than to settle down with her and the fishing's just the best way he can make a living (the safer jobs on land don't pay as much). In fact, he promises her that he's giving it up after this one last trip (and of course, if you didn't already know the boy wasn't coming back, that line was a dead giveaway). Yet suddenly, once they're out to sea, it turns out that Bobby LOVES to fish -- it's not just a living, it's a passion. So which is it?

The crucial scene where the fishermen make the fatal decision to go back through the storm packs little emotional punch, because it is made too easily. Someone (Bobby? Murph?) should have been opposed to it. That would have set up some REAL dramatic conflict, as opposed to the contrived conflict between Muph and Sully.

And the dialogue... dear Lord, the dialogue! If I had a dime for every cheesy line in this movie it would have more than made up for the $5.50 I spent on the matinee ticket. "I thought the sea was your home." "I think she's a helluva boat. -- With a helluva crew. -- With a helluva skippuh." "He's my precious boy and you're the woman for him." Not to mention gems like "This is the moment of truth.... this is what separates the men from the boys," or Clooney's pretentious ode to the glories of being a swordboat captain.

I can't even say that the movie delivers on the promise of white-knuckle thrills. The Coast Guard rescue scenes were good but too long. As for the action on the Andrea Gail, much of it was repetitive (Clooney and Wahlberg getting pelted with water). Frankly, too, this is where knowing that they all die undercuts the suspense.

Yes, there were some very good scenes. The scene between Wahlberg and Lane where they wake up in the morning. The humorous but moving little story line between Bugsy (John Hawkes) and Irene (Rusty Schwimmer), the woman he tries to pick up at the bar. Later on, one scene that was very powerful, both visually and emotionally, was when the sun suddenly comes out and the guys think that the storm is over and they've made it -- only to realize, seconds later, that it's NOT over. That was a lump-in-the-throat kind of moment.

Finally, great scene of the Andrea Gail's demise: Wahlberg swims out of the capsized boat while Clooney stays behind and we see his figure being swallowed by pitch-black darkness; then the boat seems to right itself, only to sink instantly; and there is Wahlberg, a lone speck of humanity in a vast raging sea, amidst hurricane-force winds, torrential rains, giants waves. What a terrifying and poignant image; what a powerful expression of the tragedy of man crushed by nature's wrath. And then the filmmakers had to go and ruin it all with Bobby's maudlin psychically telegraphed speech to his girlfriend -- "Can you hear me, Christine? I love you... there's no goodbyes, only love" -- and the ghostly apparition of Lane in the left corner of the screen. I am not a cynic but there's a big difference between true feeling and mawkish sentimentality. I thought the scene of Kate and Leo's final farewell in "Titanic" was corny beyond belief, but this takes the cake.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any hokier, the movie ends with a replay of Clooney's "isn't it great to be a swordboat captain" speech... it's bad enough that we had to hear it the first time around! I half-expected to see a ghostly apparition of Clooney smiling beatifically at Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio from fisherman heaven.

Bill Witliff, the screenwriter, should henceforth be known as Bill Witless.

Wahlberg deserves a better screenplay. Come to think of it, so does just about everyone else in this movie.

Fizzabel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - oh Anne, I'm sorry but it just made me cringe a little too much. I agree greatly with Cathy on virtually every point I'm afraid (apart from Bobby's death - I almost started laughing because my cousin did. We got some very nasty looks.) I think it's like Cathy said - Bobby was very inconstant. I'm overwhelmingly impressed at how good Mark was given the part he had. I mean, if he loved Christina so much, you would've thought he'd try at least to try and get out of it and died in the process, rather than just give up. And I sorry to say that Diane Lane was atrocious - I didn't believe her at all. Ah well - nice 2 know I'm not on my own any more! Cathy, that was a great review by the way!
Peace y'all
Fizz
XXXX
kt182

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that i enjoyed the film, i saw it today. I did cry at the end, at the funeral. It was so sad.
I think it might have been picked apart a bit too much by some people, in my opinion, ie the water looking to fake?! maybe they should have waited until there was such an horrific storm and then put the cast out in it? I thought the special effects were pretty amazing. And the shark scene, scared the c.r.a.p outta me! From then on, everytime anyone went near the water, i kept expecting Jaws to leap out and get 'em. Getting a bit carried away i guess.
The thing i'm not so sure about is Christina's accent. She started off sounding very east coast (overly) and then it fizzled away...
Katie

[This message has been edited by kt182 (edited 01 August 2000).]
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnneEM --

I have a sense of romanticism... but this was way too hokey. People who are about to drown don't think of beautiful things to say like "there are no goodbyes, only love." I do agree that there was no sense in having Bobby try to swim to safety, because it was so totally hopeless... actually I think even the amount of time he stayed on the surface in the film, without a life jacket and in that kind of storm, was unrealistic.

I thought the final scene when the boat flips over was somehow very understated, maybe out of respect to the dead men's families? For instance, you would think that after a boat overturned a lot of the people on board would be injured and in horrible pain from broken bones and the like, but we didn't see anything like that. Also, in the book, when Sebastian Junger tries to imagine the final moments of the Andrea Gail he says that when it flipped over a lot of things must have gone flying -- the dishes, the VCR, the equipment, everything -- but they didn't show anything like that in the movie. As a result it just wasn't very dramatic.

By the way I recommend the book very strongly, but it's not for the faint of heart. For instance, it has a pretty gruesome description of what it feels like when you're drowning. You might ask, how does he know (unless he's communicating with the dead). Well, he knows from interviews with people who ALMOST drowned but were rescued at the last second.
Queen E!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK LADIES. YOU ALL SOUND PATHETIC. HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THAT IT WAS CHEESY OR IT WAS CORNY. IT WAS NOT. IT WAS VERY SWEET. AND MOST OF YOU ARE MAD BECAUSE HE WASN'T TALKING TO YOU AND YOU SO WISH HE WAS. SO GET OVER IT. AND THE ONE GIRL WHO SAID ALL OF THE WOMAN WERE BAD ACTRESSES. THAT IS NOT TRUE. YOU ALL ARE LAME AND JUST MAD BECAUSE YOU WISH YOU WERE THE ONE WHO WAS HIS LEADING LADY IN THE MOVIE.AND WHEN YOU SAY IT'S CHEESY OR CORNY YOU ARE TALKIING ABOUT REAL PEOPLES LIVES. SO GET REAL. OR SHALL I SAY GET A LIFE AND GROW UP. I TOO WAS AT THAT STAGE IN LIFE WHERE I WOULD GET UPSET EVERY TIME MY MOVIE STAR CRUSH HAD LOVE FOR ANOTHER LADY ON THE SCREEN. BUT THEN WITH MATURITY I LEARNED IT WAS NOT REAL. SO GET OVER IT. YOU GUYS ARE RIDICOLOUS.
Queen E!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT IS THIS B.S. ABOUT YOU ALL SAYING HE GAVE UP. WHERE DID YOU THINK HE WAS GOING SWIM YOU MORONS. HE WAS IN THE ALANTIC OCEAN. WHERE THE **** WAS GOING TO GO? YEAH, I WOULD DEFINETLY LIKE TO SEE HIM SWIM THROUGH 30 FOOT WAVES YOU IDIOTS WITH LIGHTING AND 150 MPH WINDS. IT'S NOT CHEESY,LAME OR CORNY. BECAUSE IT EXCACTLY HAPPEN TO SOMEONE. DID THAT YOUR MINDS THAT THIS WAS A REAL PERSON. DON'T POKE FUN AT SOMEONE ELSE'S TRAGEDY. GROW THE F*CK UP.
Queen E!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY PROPS TO ANNE. THANK YOU GIRL. YOU KEPT IT REAL. WHERE IS THE ROMANTICANISM. PROBABLY UP THEIR.......NO I WON'T SAY THAT I HAVE ALREADY SAID ENOUGH. I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR KEEPING IT REAL AND SEEING THROUGH ALL THEIR PATHETIC ****. MARK WAS GREAT AND I LOVED HIM AND GEORGE. THEY WERE GREAT RIGHT ALONG WITH DIANE LANE.
shorty23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oK here is the deal the movie was not "CHEESY" and u need 2 grow up because u R insultin' a tragic thing that happened 2 someone in REAL life or r u just 2 slow 2 get it? ok 4 "the love of god swim" where the f*ck 2 u DUMB A**? not like there's a 7/11 down the street. 2 me the movie was great. And for the love of god GROW UP!
shorty23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oK the movie was not CHEESY and who r u 2 be messin' with somethin' that really happened in REAL life or is that 2 much 4 u 2 handle. and uh "4 the love of god swim" where the f*ck 2 the 7/11 down the street? 4 the love of god would YOU grow up? And what he did at the end is called TRUE LOVE. Or like oh my god is that 2 hard 4 u and above your level. get grip FIZZABEL(what the h*ll kind of name is that) 2 me and the rest of the world the movie was GREAT!!!!
Queen E!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU ALL NEED TO LISTEN TO MY GIRL SHORTY.
christina*theoriginal*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!!!!! this is to fizzabel and the other ladies who didnt like the movie!!!! where do you guys get off forming an opinion of your own huh??? and then expressing it here on a chat board??? you know that sort of stuff is not tolerated!!!

Fizzabel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2000 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - sorry Christina, dunno what came over me! I'll put the duck tape back over my mouth now....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: