Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
reviews and interviews keep on coming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylinne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: reviews and interviews keep on coming Reply with quote

FilmStew's Brent Simon has positive things to say about the movie at

http://www.filmstew.com/showArticle.aspx?ContentID=15690

Quote:
A Post Oscar Swagger

What gives Shooter a leg up on anonymous political thrillers like The Sentinel is Wahlberg, who plays this material with a hard-charging heart and rugged determination that capture the essence of these strong-and-silent-types that fall hard for the loft rhetoric of idealism, do occasionally awful things in the service of their countryís mission, and then fall even harder when they come to learn so many of their superiors donít believe the same things that they do.

While Shooter lacks a there-will-be-blood fatalism and-or more explicit hot-button topicality that would have, in my estimation, truly pushed it over the hump to near-classic thriller status, it canít be said that the movie cops out on any level. When Bob Lee Swagger sets out to set things right, by God, that means there will be justice, and not of the candy-ass variety.

I think I love Mister Simon. Very Happy Wink

And a different angle on the movie from none other than Stephen Hunter, author of Point of Impact, upon which Shooter is based can be found at the WashingtonPost.com, but you have to be registered to read it. The little bit I found interesting, when asked if Hunter could change one thing, his reply:

Quote:
Well, don't tell anyone, but that last three minutes in the cabin in the woods was a late add to the thing and in my humble opinion could have been handled better. I'm not even sure Antoine directed it. I think Bob and Danny Glover should have shot it out in a real cool way, and the transaction involving "I win" and "I win again" could have been concluded with Bob saying "Know what? I win" and bang. Anyhow, they did what they did and made the choices they made and generally, I thought they did a good job. I thought the book was wisely trimmed so that it was containable within a two-hour time frame, though I hated to see Vietnam Bob's southern heritage go.

and look whose name gets lumped together with Hollywood's biggies:

Quote:
namely if a big stud--a Spielberg, a di Bonaventura, a Scorsese, a Wahlberg, a Nicholson--made it a personal crusade

Only one stud in that bunch that I'm aware of... Shocked Cool Razz

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff. -- Shooter

heatherleigh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm...I am most interested in what Stephen Hunter had to say. I am happy with the ending, but wonder f there will be an alternate on the DVD. I am also excited to read the book to see how the movie differs. I know that a lot of material must have been left out, like Hunter said, to get it down to two hours.
Chew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a yo thankz kaylinne Smile !!!!!!!!!!

Kaylinne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having almost as much fun reading the reviews as I did seeing the flick. Cool There is a lot of (understandable) criticism out there regarding the movie - but more often than not the reviews are positive about Wahlberg's portrayal of Bob Lee --

From Colin Covert, Roanoke Times

Quote:
Wahlberg's performance bristles with self-confidence. With his beefy weightlifter's build he looks like the man to bet on in a brawl. ... The most-colorful supporting player is former Band drummer/singer Levon Helm, as an old coot conspiracy buff who brings the house down with a gag about a 44-year-old shovel.

By the finale, Swagger is a full-fledged folk hero, on the road to new adventures (there are several more books prime for film adaptations). It looks as if Wahlberg has found an action franchise that fits him like a pair of Calvin Kleins.

Mark's past is too colorful to escape! Twisted Evil

mrsmercer109

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx kaylinne

Kaylinne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the gals over at TheMovieChicks.com:

Quote:
The biggest plus this film has going for it is Mark Wahlberg Ė he has that screen presence you need for a hero. He commands respect and it doesnít hurt that heís carrying around a gun he can kill with before you can even see him coming (the bad guys should have thought about that a little more before making him an enemy).

He wears that scowl like a badge of honor

Twisted Evil Cool

Kaylinne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the critic over at ComingSoon.net

Quote:
The Bottom Line:

"Shooter" is a decent thriller with enough action and conspiracy-based intrigue to entertain and appease fans of movies like "The Bourne Identity" and its sequel. While this type of testosterone-driven fare won't have much to offer the ladies,

Um, I beg to differ...I loves explosions and guns and conspiracy theories and a man with a big weapon... Twisted Evil Shocked Very Happy

LMAO!!

heatherleigh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaylinne wrote:
From the critic over at ComingSoon.net

Quote:
The Bottom Line:

"Shooter" is a decent thriller with enough action and conspiracy-based intrigue to entertain and appease fans of movies like "The Bourne Identity" and its sequel. While this type of testosterone-driven fare won't have much to offer the ladies,

Um, I beg to differ...I loves explosions and guns and conspiracy theories and a man with a big weapon... Twisted Evil Shocked Very Happy

LMAO!!

I'm right there with ya on that one... Twisted Evil Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Shooter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: