Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Box Office mojo for Shooter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylinne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Box Office mojo for Shooter Reply with quote

Came in third on the weekend. TMNT pulled in the highest amount in ticket sales, followed by 300 in its third week. TMNT is easy to understand - rated PG, it's gonna attract the kids and their parents. (I'm past that stage, thank goodness... Wink ) 300 I don't get, I would have thought after more than 2 weeks in theaters, everyone who wanted to see it would have seen it. Can't see people going back two or three times on that one. But that's just MHO. Other's mileage may vary!

TMNT: $25.4 million
300 $20.5 million
Shooter: $14.5 million

On the bright side, TMNT gets only 33% at Rotten Tomatoes, Shooter has a 48% - which means half the critics liked it, and half didn't. Not bad for an R rated action flick

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff. -- Shooter

heatherleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I am completely floored by this. Just completely, totally shocked.
It is such a great movie, and Mark worked is ever-lovin' ass off, it should have easily been #1. Grr. Boo. Hiss. I think it's a shame. Evil or Very Mad
Kaylinne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the kind of movie that Shooter is, it is not bad to be third.

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Quote:
Mark Wahlberg's new action thriller "Shooter" opened in third place with an estimated $14.5M from 2,806 locations. The Paramount release averaged a good $5,168 per theater and played to an adult aduience. Studio research showed that two-thirds of the crowd for the R-rated film was age 25 or older. "Shooter" finds the recent Oscar nominee playing a former marine wrongly accused of trying to kill the U.S. President. The budget was just over $60M.

I was at matinees where the small crowds were mostly over 30. I got the feeling they enjoyed the film, even if some of it went over their heads. One matinee was attended by the younger set - a group of college kids in their early 20s, if that. They really didn't get it. And they didn't know who Mark Wahlberg was, either. Rolling Eyes Shocked

I went back and looked at some other opening weekends for Wahlberg flicks:

Four Brothers, $21 million
Three Kings, $15.8 million
Departed, $26 million
Perfect Storm, $41.3 million
Invincible, $17 million
Italian Job, $19.5 million
Planet of the Apes, $68 million

A lot of these played to specific types of crowds. Funny how the SciFi group gets the highest numbers. Shocked And it also depends on who else is in the movie, and how many theaters show it.

Number 3 is still better than 5 or 10... Wink

heatherleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike, I was just getting ready to look up those stats. I knew POTA did 68 million, and fully expected that Shooter would blow that out of the water. I have seen every film Mark has made, and in MHO this is among the best. Will he get an Academy Award nod for this one? No, but I thought that it would be huge with the general public. It's more than just an action flick. And what the hell is 300 anyway? I just don't get it, I really don't. I know that I am incredibly biased in Mark's favor, but even my husband, who tries NOT to like Mark's work, liked this movie.
Chew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid criticz Evil or Very Mad
lik dey naw anythang Evil or Very Mad

heatherleigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, to your point about #3 not being bad Kaylinne, I agree. #3 in general is not a bad place to be. I'm just suprised that Mark's abiity to draw a crowd, combined with his recent nominations, combined with the TON of promo that he did resulted in #3 as opposed to #1. OK, end of rant....
Kaylinne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heatherleigh wrote:
Great minds think alike, I was just getting ready to look up those stats. I knew POTA did 68 million, and fully expected that Shooter would blow that out of the water. I have seen every film Mark has made, and in MHO this is among the best. Will he get an Academy Award nod for this one? No, but I thought that it would be huge with the general public. It's more than just an action flick. And what the hell is 300 anyway? I just don't get it, I really don't. I know that I am incredibly biased in Mark's favor, but even my husband, who tries NOT to like Mark's work, liked this movie.

That opening weekend for PotA surprised me. I hang out on some SF boards, and they were not praising it. As for myself, I am a bit of a purist when it comes to the original Apes movie, and there is no one who can re-do the role of Charleton Heston. Not even that young upstart Wahlberg! Twisted Evil Shocked Just my opinion, folks! Wink And they gave Heston's best line to one of the apes!!?? Sacrilege!!

It will be interesting to see how Shooter does world-wide, as these R rated action flicks seem to attract more attention overseas.

Maybe later I'll go back and check out the totals for these movies, and how long each one stayed in the theater. As much as I enjoyed Shooter, I don't forsee a long engagement, and I see a quick turn around to DVD. Which is really okay with me, then I can watch it whenever I want - just like the Bourne series. Surprised

Nope, no Oscar nod to Mark for this one. It's just not that kind of movie. But then, Oscar means little - nothing, actually - to me. Twisted Evil

mrsmercer109

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im suprized 4brothers didnt get more

Chew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i naw itz dem stupid criticz hoo thank dey naw evrythang

MarkIsSleeping

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant beleive shooter came in 3rd place i wanted 2 be in 1st place.

Chew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i naw lik 4 real Sad

Kaylinne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to say, Shooter dropped to number 6 in only its second week, taking in 8 million (slightly more than half of its opening weekend totals). Crying or Very sad

Debut movies Blades of Glory and Meet the Robinsons took 1st and 2nd, followed by 300. What's scary is TMNT and Wild Hogs beat Shooter. It's a very strange world we live in, kiddies. Rolling Eyes

So maybe the DVD will be out before summer? Cool

MarkIsSleeping

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaylinne wrote:
sad to say, Shooter dropped to number 6 in only its second week, taking in 8 million (slightly more than half of its opening weekend totals). Crying or Very sad

Debut movies Blades of Glory and Meet the Robinsons took 1st and 2nd, followed by 300. What's scary is TMNT and Wild Hogs beat Shooter. It's a very strange world we live in, kiddies. Rolling Eyes

So maybe the DVD will be out before summer? Cool

what in 6th place. thats horriable. whats wrong with these people its a great movie. who wants 2 go see meet the robinsons. blah! no 1 likes mark well i do. have my way i go see shooter again & agaiin this suck.

XXSEXYNESS210XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually shocked that shooter came in 3rd place then lowered down after. It was a really good movie and couldnt take my eyes off the screen. I loved it and had lots of action. People are dumb and they dont know whats good for them lol Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
heatherleigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear, I don't see how this is possible. I feel like the numbers have to be wrong becaue this is such a great movie. Mark did everything so right with this one, I just expected it to be off the charts. I do not get it. I am completely, totaly stumped. Shocked Mad Shocked Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Shooter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: