Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Question about POTA..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ds1stMate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 10:12 pm    Post subject: Question about POTA.. Reply with quote

Ok...my friend and I just saw the movie..twice in the past two days...and we STILL don't get it...

What we are confused on is the fact when Mark got back to earth, it was all apes and why was the statue of the ape dedicated to General Thade???? how did all that come about??? Someone PLEASE help...We're going nuts over here!!!
Mi and Susan
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ending's supposed to be a bit vaugue and allows the viewer to draw their own conclusion. I like the fact a summer movie actually forces you to think a little. There are several theories out there on the other POTA boards around the net.

This is pure speculation but some spoiler space just in case
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

One theory I like is Leo is stuck in a time warp, the Oberon goes after him, crashing into a planet in 2025. The DNA enhanced chimps evolved on the ape planet. Mark gets there a couple thousand years later.

Common explaination in sci-fi: parallel dimensions. [I was a huge Sliders fan] Leo then goes back into time, but instead of returning to his earth, he returns to a different dimension where the same altered apes evolved and conquered Earth. Thus Thade can exist because it's the same yet different.

Different ideas pop up all the time, so don't take it as gospel. Only Tim Burton knows what it really means and he even admits he's a bit eccentric.

Lianne
oo00oo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is what i think happened and why...

I think that General Thade somehow figured out how to use that big ship he was stuck in. It probably had the course to earth stored like the little chimp ship did. So he probably went BACK in time to earth. Far enough back so that apes could rule. So he would have some control of which species evolved. He probably tought the other apes. It probably ended up the same way it is now (like, with police cars, and reporters, and memorials) because, remember in the begining when Leo was in the main ship and they said they were picking up signals and t broadcasts of the past? well Thade probably watched all of those and learned about the human culture, went back, and made the ape culture on earth the same way. The reason he would want the culture the same way is because right before his dad died, he told thade that the only power the humans had over apes was TECHNOLOGY. Also, one of the gorillas told Leo that Thade would never give up, no matter what. So the planet Leo crashed on was a different planet than earth, but the 2nd one he landed on WAS earth. The 1st planet was ruled by apes because the big ship landed on it and it was in an enviroment where the ape, (who were already smarter than everage apes because they were being tought) were at an advantage because they could handle it better than the humans.
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll need to see it again to figure it out.

I don't usually like endings that can only be explained by the sequel.

The 2 timewarps existing simultaneously would mean that in the sequel Leo would have to escape this timewarp and get back to earth in the timewarp he knows and came from.

Similiar premise as "Frequency" and interesting. I felt the movie did suggest Leo returned to earth BUT like I said I'm got to see ita gain to even "feel" anything about this ending
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a sequel was a done deal?

Didn't Mark sign on for a 2 picture deal??

Gotta go back and read the original casting articles from last year!
mrksdahotness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think oo00oo's theory was kinda interesting, but unless we ask Tim Burton ourselves why the movie ended the way it did, we will NEVER KNOW! Maybe the apes and humans evolvd together, and they just looked more like the apes.... that could explain the appearance... but I dont know why the memorial was to Thade..???
oo00oo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats just what i think, I wish Tim Burton WOULD explain it to us but i think he did it that way so everyone could draw their own conclusion. So it sux for people with no imagination, (like the people who gave it bad reviews) because they said it was "ordinary"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With parallel time dimensions you have 2 "futures" happening at the same time, so there still could be the year say 3050 where apes rule and one where humans rule.

The year he landed wasn't shown at the end so maybe he didnt go "back in time"to where he started from.

I gotta see it again (or draw myself a picture ) cuz the more I try to explain it even to myself the more I confuse myself!

Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Horizons had the following sent to them
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

****. FOX exec Bruce Snyder goes on the record to Zap2It.Com about the ending saying: "You're not supposed to be able to (explain it). If the truth be known, it wasn't really supposed to make sense. It was just supposed to go 'whoa,' make you think. Now is he in another world, did he go back in time, did he get forward in time? The reality is there's no firm answer to that. It's whatever you want it to be". Thanks to 'Brandon'.

So what ever you think could be the answer.

Lianne

[This message has been edited by Lianne (edited July 30, 2001).]
litojr78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok how did they get horses, and do you guys think they will have a part 2????

[This message has been edited by litojr78 (edited July 31, 2001).]
marky_4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how they got horses. How could they? They didn't have any horses on the Oberon.

About the ending... He went through the time warp thing in the beginning, and again in the end. In the beginning he went back in time to earth, and in the end he travelled forward in time. So, the Lincoln memorial has the face of General Thade? Well since General Thade led the army against the humans, he was remembered as a great leader to the Apes in the Past...

Do you guys get what I'm saying?
V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know how come some of the apes were chimps (Thade) and some were gorillas? It looked like there were only chimps on Board when they crashed.
marky_4ever

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't explain that one, but my guess is that it has something to do with evolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: