Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Box Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliciaJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Box Office Reply with quote

I'm slated to see the film this weeekend. I've been so busy, but I'm concerned that it hasn't done well in the box office for North America. I just hope this doesn't affect Mark's potential future films. Being that u know how totally superficial hollywood is about the box office $$$$. I've seen very bad films do well in the box office, and very good films see the exit door quickly.

Hooray!! I'm back online. I couldn't post for about 6 months I think, because of some password issue...grrrrrrrr *wonder if anyone remembers me*

------------------
My soul seem dark...but every now and

[This message has been edited by AliciaJ (edited November 11, 2002).]
Elisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you! I had to change my username because of a password issue as well.
Box office numbers, well, they are what they are and it's a shame that this movie isn't a box office success. I'm sure you'll enjoy the show

------------------
elisabet

Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alicia, I was wondering where you were. I keep my passwords on a computer file on my desktop, write them in a notebook I keep near my computer, keep my password's simple and of course cookie them so the sites remembers me. I guess its tough if you're doing this from a library, school or work. I also have them in an email I keep in my web email folders. More secure but of course you have to remember the password to your email acount. LOL Probably over board for most people but I used to have 6 different email addresses and registered at a ton of boards. Kinda hard to remember sign-ins when you go over a dozen!

Yeah the boxoffice has been looking very poor, but I don't think it has too much impact on him. His power rating was 70 something (out of 100) in this year's Hollywood Reporter. Box office potential is more important for the actors who want or do alot of blockbuster/big budget films. Where people have to justify $100 mil budgets with guarantees on returns before investing on such films. And from interviews, Mark doesn't really much care for blockbuster types, unless it's directed by a director he admires and works with other good actors.

Charlie was a difficult film to market, which really isn't an excuse as they are supposed to be professionals. They (Universal) seemed to switch gears late into the game. Example: The poster switched from dark/simple to a bright/busy look 2 weeks before it opened wide. And don't get me started on the website before they finally launched the one we see now. Ah well water under the bridge.

Anycase, I hope you enjoy the film and welcome back!
Tigger00Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so upset about the ratings on this movie. Even though I know Mark could probably care less about how well the movie did - it should've done better in my opinion. The theaters here still do not have the movie and I called 3 of them to ask why they didn't get it and also to complain about having to drive for an hour to see it. (It was well worth the drive, by the way). But there are some fairly large theatres around me and not one of them had it. 6 months across the pond is a lot of time to sacrifice and put into a movie - so I hated to see it not get the respect and ratings it deserved. I loved it - so everyone who didn't watch it is just missing out! lol

[This message has been edited by Tigger00Mark (edited November 11, 2002).]
AliciaJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waves to Lianne* Thanks for the tips on password protection. It was a nightmare for me, so I've begun keeping a record.

I would also agree, that the promotion for TTAC was very weak. The trailer never appealed to me, but I'm a fan of Mark so if there's a ticket being sold where he's on the bill, I'm there.

--------------------
I looked up my family tree and there was a dog using it.
Ellenita

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry is, if the film is doing badly at the box office in the States, will they even release it in the UK? I know this has happened to other films (Madonna's latest for example, although I wouldn't bother to see that one myself!) There have been films that have gone straight to video, but I can't wait to see Mark on a giant screen first!!
LYNNE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will just buy it & sit two inches away from the screen.
I think we will be able to buy it region 1 as it hits the cinema here anyway.As was RockStar.
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT Anderson.com had some of Roger Ebert's (famous movie critic in the US) answers about distribution -in regards to PT's film, But I think it has bearing to Charlie as well:

quote:
Q. I've been waiting all year for "Punch-Drunk Love" to open. Now it has, and I'm frustrated by the fact that The Powers That Be have not deemed me worthy of viewing it. It is not playing in any of the more than a dozen theaters within reasonable driving distance of my home (in southern New Hampshire). I'm not so naive as to think that a letter of complaint will have any constructive effect, but I want to do it anyway. My question is, who is responsible for the decision not to let me see this film and others like it? If I'm going to write a pointless letter, at least I want it to be thrown away by the right person's secretary. Ron Spiegelhalter, Merrimack, N.H.

A. I would contact the home office of the chains operating theaters in your area. They obviously believe that while southern New Hampshire is ripe for moronic Adam Sandler movies, it is not ready for a good Adam Sandler movie. A kind of red-lining goes on, in which "art films" are booked in the cities but denied to less populated areas. Woody Allen once claimed that none of his films has ever played south of the Mason-Dixon Line. An exaggeration, but with a grain of truth.

Q. Sadly, all my suspicions came true when I went to see "Punch-Drunk Love" this past weekend. Oh, not about the movie, which was beautifully done and surprisingly touching. No, as I feared, I found myself in a theater full of "Billy Madison" and "Happy Gilmore" worshippers who were programmed to laugh when Sandler cried, and look confused in between bodily-harm jokes. In your experience, can we expect Sandler to make more movies like PDL, or is the following of his first audience going to force him to continue SNL vehicles forever?
Ryan Cooke, Denton, Texas

A. Sandler has been bitten by the hands that feed him. "Punch-Drunk Love" has not appealed to his traditional audiences, and there is a big disconnect between critics and fans. According to the Tomatometer, 85 percent of major critics praised the film, and yet Cinemascore.com shows that exiting moviegoers rated it between C-plus and F.

Matt Fields, who operates the Athena Theater in Athens, Ohio, (home of Ohio University's 20,000 students) writes me: "There are actually people out there who think that 'Punch-Drunk' is Sandler's worst movie. Sony has just expanded 'Punch-Drunk' to 1,200 theatres (still not very wide) and as they have expanded it, the per screen average has tumbled. It just isn't playing to crowds outside of large metro areas. I just think that the moviegoing public isn't very sophisticated. I am always surprised how many college students don't know anything about art films at all. It seems that an earlier generation grew up on Godard while today's is growing up on '*******.'"

So there you go. Where to complain and one person's view on why some people don't like certain types of film.

Also I read in Variety a film (one that hasn't already secured 2000+ opening week) needs to make about $5000 per screen before studios seek out more theatres. But some theatres won't consider adding the film to their lineup unless it pulls in at least 10k per screen!

As for the Int'l openings, The Yards made more money overseas than here in the US, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I'd revisit the issue after it hits France in January. I'd also check on the local press and see if there are any rumblings, as SA's direct to vid was rumored long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: