Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Jonathan Demme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Jonathan Demme Reply with quote

I'm a movie bluff, so I like the behind the scene things. So I'm pointing y'all to a fabulous article about Jonathan's film history over at P.T. Anderson.com (which is so great on PT's works which includes Boogie Nights)
http://www.ptanderson.com/influences/demme.htm

Check out the rest of the site if you've never been. It's a great website!
4cSlater

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
I'm going to start reading all Andersons reviews -I'l be finished by Christmas.
mArk_71

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lianne! I like the behind the sceens type of thing also!
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a recent blurb from USA Today:
Director Jonathan Demme, who won an Oscar for his Hannibal Lecter thriller, The Silence of the Lambs, at first planned to avoid calling his upcoming caper film, The Truth About Charlie, a remake.

"We didn't want The Truth About Charlie to be compared to Charade," Demme says. "So we were thinking of calling it a 're-imagining.' A re-imagining give me a break! It's a remake. I'm not ashamed of it." (Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, starring Mark Wahlberg, was touted as a re-imagining.)

But Demme, whose film also stars Wahlberg and Thandie Newton, candidly says that Charade comparisons are Charlie's biggest obstacle, because Charade is a famously stylish 1963 thriller starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. The last time an actress stepped into Hepburn's high heels, it was Julia Ormond in 1995's Sabrina, and critics mercilessly stressed that Ormond was no Hepburn.

Charlie has a rougher texture and doesn't ape Charade's style, Demme says. But his worst fear was realized on TV when David Letterman recently said to Wahlberg: "So I understand you play Cary Grant."

Demme says that's far from his intention. "I love Charade, but I feel that it's old enough now that it's past the statute of limitations. It's old enough that it could be remade. And it's so delightful that maybe it should be."
LYNNE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me is a re-imagining a new story as apposed to a remake being exactly the same.I remember watching the David Letterman interview with Mark on Planet of The Apes & it all got very confusing with him saying no you can't call it a remake ect.Is this a new terminology for copying?
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand there's the Hollywood meaning and the real meaning - that was what Demme was alluding to in the quote. Kinda funny considering Mark did work on a reimagining and was saying that was what it was on Letterman among other places. I just bet some reporter will jump on him on his opinion on the difference. I know it would be my question.

In anycase, this is my opinion-

Hollywood: Reimagining - A rethinking of a film whether plot, story, style, etc. (ie. forming a different ending or a different way of getting to the same conclusion in POTA)

Real: Reimagining = Remake
Its just a fancy 'new' word for remake since its such a dirty word to Hollywood and film critics.

Interestingly there was a pretty good rebuttal on the remake frenzy in the same paper. A film historian pointed out The Maltese Falcon was actually one of the many film tellings of Hammett's Sam Spade. But nobody remembers those. Same thing with the famous MGM musical classics, many were remakes or a rehash of the older musicals that first came out as talkies (20s/30s).

Remakes can be good but it takes the combined talents of good scriptwriters, directors, cast and most importantly editors to do so. I think POTA suffered from alot of time constraints (delays and a deadline to beat the potential actors strike which I posted tons on as it was filming), with the script being rewritten as it was filmed. Usually, not a good sign.

As I haven't really heard much on this film except for the surprise screning by Demme a couple months ago - no news is good news?!?
LYNNE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask about the potential actors strike save me looking through the board.was this the strike that Liz Hurley got in trouble for working through.What was the reason for the strike?Thanks for that info above.
Just made me laugh when Mark kept laughing & saying no you can't say that on that interview.
Just goes back to what we were saying about being famous & what you are allowed to say & how careful you have to be not to hit the limelight in the wrong way.
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was the same strike. Commercial actors - those who just make adverts did go thru with a strike and some people crossed the line. Liz I think was working on her makeup adverts and she may have thought she was exempt as a Uk actress. As it was filmed in the US, it was on shaky ground.

The strike I was talking about is the SAG (Screen Actors Guild - an actors union) strike, after seeing the commercial actors doing it and getting some demands from studios, the SAG membership were set to vote to strike. According to informal polls and just the feelings of many in the industry it looked like it was going to win by a big margin.

So the studio pushed all filming and production up by months. Actors, writers, every segment of the industry was pushed into action to get things done before the deadline. Several movies arranged with SAG to be made strike proof as it was scheduled to run onto the strike period. POTA was supposedly protected from the strike, but FOX needed the studio space for all the other movie they wanted to rush thru.

Oh and then television actors and the Writers Guild also began rumblling about their own strike. Then Canada and the UK acting unions also threatened to strike, I think even the Australian union thought of doing so too. So essentially any English speaking actor might be on the strike. There were also worries with the TV acting union thinking strike too, any publicity (ie talk shows) would be effected. It was a huge humongous mess really.

The big reason for all this strike talk is simple: Money. Every year the studios profits and Box office reciepts went up, with DVD, video, TV Rebroadcasts and merchandise - the actors wanted more of what they believe is their fair portion of the profit - with some of it put into a fund for those actors who do not make Brad Pitt or Jennifer Aniston money. The studio protested saying they put alot of money into the infrastructure of film (lots, equiptment, marketing, arranging funding, etc) and really don't make the profits. The mergers of Fox, Universal and WB into media conglomerates was cited as evidence of them trying to stay affloat in a very cutthroat business. I'm really not sure what they finally decided on, but the SAG strike was adverted as was the other unions who had settled with studios and agencies earlier that year.

Its something that simmers underneath the surface of Hollywood and will probably crop up again and again. Its actually quite facinating if you are a bit of film nut. The last huge actor bruhahas was a strike in the 80s and before that the biggest of them all - when the studio system was destroyed.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lianne.I am really interested in the film industry.I would dearly love to be on a set when filming from start to finish of a film just to see what goes on.
It's a bit sad though now because money seems to get in the way.High demands by some actors that dictates succession of some films like Vin Diesel in F & F 2.I mean it's nice for them if they can get it.But millions & millions on just the actors fees & sometimes it just seems like a competition & storyline on who can get the most.
I hope old Vin doesn't price himself out of popularity.I suppose they get confident enough & know how in demand they are.
Well i suppose if you can get it,get it.
Thanks again.Cheers
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in MAine or planning to be there this week? Jonathan Demme is suppose to be at the Maine Int'l Film Festival and it would be so cool if you could track him down and ask him about Charlie!

Here's the info if you are:
Maine International Film Festival
at Railroad Square Cinema

Description:
Academy Award-winning director Jonathan Demme will be honored with the Mid-Life Achievement Award at the 5th Annual Maine International Film Festival (MIFF) in Waterville July 12-21. Previous recipients include Academy Award-winning actress Sissy Spacek (2001), Academy Award-nominated director Terrence Malick (2000) and noted Dutch director Jos Stelling (1999). Demme is in the midst of a singular and remarkable career that spans the range of filmmaking, from idiosyncratic, personal visions to stalwart documentaries to Hollywood blockbusters. Currently, he has two films nearing release, "The Agronomist," a documentary shot in Haiti, and "The The Truth About Charlie," a contemporary remake of the caper thriller "Charade." In 1992 Demme won his Oscar for "Silence of the Lambs," which also swept the Academy's major awards, winning Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Actress and Best Actor. Since then, he has directed "Philadelphia" (which won Tom Hanks an Oscar in 1995), "Beloved" and "Storefront Hitchcock." His films prior to "Silence of the Lambs" include "Married to the Mob," "Something Wild," "Stop Making Sense" (the riveting Talking Heads concert film), "Cousin Bobby," "Swimming to Cambodia," with Spalding Gray, "Swing Shift," "Handle with Care," and "Melvin and Howard," which was named Best Film of the Year by the National Society of Film critics in 1980. Demme also won the Best Director award from the New York Film Critics' Circle for "Melvin and Howard." Another Festival highlight will be a jazz concert with the Billy Bang Sextet at the Waterville Opera House on July 18. Bang, a Vietnam vet, and his group comprised largely of Vietnam veterans, will play music from their recently released and critically acclaimed CD, "Vietnam: The Aftermath." The concert is part of a section of the festival exploring the way that the Vietnam War and the fallout from it continue to influence our consciousness, thinking, responses and lives now, almost 30 years later. The section will include premiere showings of several films dealing with Vietnam from a present-day perspective, showings of other films about the Vietnam experience today, and a symposium about the war and how it effects policy and attitudes today. Festival programmer Ken Eisen looks forward to Demme's presence at this year's festival. "Jonathan Demme is one of the great filmmakers in American movies, a director who's made some of the key movies of the past 20 years. We're honored and thrilled to have the chance to have him with us, for our audiences to have the chance to visit with him, and to have the chance to show some of his extraordinary films, both old and new." Now entering its fifth year, MIFF is a project of the non-profit Friends of Art and Film in Central Maine. It showcases the best of American independent and international film, as well as the work of Maine filmmakers. On July 13 there will be two festival events showcasing the work of Maine filmmakers. During the ten days there are almost one hundred screenings with over fifty films. The Maine Student Film & Video Festival is also held in conjunction with MIFF. Venues include two screens at Railroad Square Cinema and one at the historic Waterville Opera House, which is especially equipped each year for MIFF. 10 days of the best American independent, foreign and Maine-made films. Special guests, sneak previews, panel discussions, receptions and more!

Cost: Full Festival-($125); Partial Passes-($65)
Email: info@miff.org
Joan Phillips-Sandy

Organization: Maine International Film Festival
10 Railroad Square
Waterville, ME 04901
Phone: (207) 861-8138

Schedule:
Friday, July 12th through Sunday, July 21st at various times
SOMETHING WILD
In one of the great films of the '80s, clean-cut bond trader Jeff Daniels meets alluring, edgy Melanie Griffith and follows her for a tryst that turns into...well, something wilder.
Wed-Jul-17 7:00 PM OH, Tickets $10

THE AGRONOMIST - US PREMIERE!
Work-in-progress screening of Demme's new film, a documentary portrait of his friend, Haitian human rights activist Jean Dominique, who was assassinated in 2000.
Tue-Jul-16 7:00 PM RR1, Tickets $10

MARRIED TO THE MOB
Michelle Pfeiffer stars in Demme's high-spirited, comic twist on Mafia movies.
Mon-Jul-15 5:00 PM RR1

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Becoming only the third film to ever sweep all the top Oscars, Demme's nail-biting thriller starring Jodie Foster also redefined the genre and made Anthony Hopkins and Hannibal Lecter household names.
Tue-Jul-16 9:30 PM RR1

STOP MAKING SENSE
It's a late-night pizza party (pizza and dancing in the aisles provided free!) with one of the all-time great rock movies, Demme's classic record of the Talking Heads' 1983 tour.
Fri-Jul-19 11:00 PM RR1
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTanderson.com again hooks us up with a really cool interview with Demme (and Thandie) when he was in DC. http://www.themovieboy.com/directlinks/demme.htm

Also if you live in NYC:
Directors Series: The Truth About Charlie
Thursday, October 24, 2002
6:00 PM-10:00 PM
Cantor Film Center - Theatre 200
36 East 8th Street

The Truth About Charlie screens. Master director Jonathan Demme will answer questions afterwards.

Contact Jeremiah Newton - jay.newton@nyu.edu for more information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Truth About Charlie All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: