Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
The Basketball Diaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Basketball Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a small bit, but in the scene where that one kid throws up on that old guy, and Mark (Mickey) just about falls over with laughter... I love that! Not the throwing up, but the spontaneous way Mark laughed. It wasn't forced or unnatural, the way a lot of actors laugh on screen. And I like the way he laughs, anyway. It makes me wish I could be around him, 'cause I know he has a great sense of humor! I think he would be so much fun on a date!

------------------
Annie M
LisaL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketball diaries is my favourite movie ever. Not because of Mark's role (he's had many better roles then he did in this one even though he did an unbelievable job like always). But this has been my favourite movie since i saw it four years ago because it is such a realistic portrayal of Jim Carrols life. Everything about it shows the truth of getting addicted and everything that happens to u and how it affects and ruins ur life. This will always be my favourite movie of all timeout of all the movies i've ever seen in my life. I wish i could see who the real Jim Carrol is because he must be unbeliveable. He's a famous musician, poet, writer,etc. and that is sooo unbelivable that he could go from a druggie to such a succes. Marc Wahlberg was great at the role that he had. Micky was a good role for him even though it was a bad caracter. He could have played the lead easily and done an exillent job but Leo was perfect for that role. He must have made Jim Carrol proud. I love mark and all his movies r outstanding. Not just because he's the hottest actor out there but because he's such a great actor. When he takes a role he truly becomes the character. It is so unbelivable how he went from jail to being a rapper,to a model, to an outstanding actor. His life is kinda like Jim Carrols.I will always love mark forever because he's great at everthing he does. If there's anyone out there who hasn't seen Basketball Diaries u have to go rent it right now. It's unbelievable.

------------------
LisaL
efactor
Call Me ''E''

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here I am again reading peoples thought's at 4:00 am in the morning, anyway it is very nice to see how many people appreciate good work and are able to add there own insight to a film...Well just so you know Basketball Diaries is where Mark and I met I was a consultant on the film teaching all about the effects of heroin and other drugs as well...this film also shares a small part of my heart, as it was my first...anyway as always....One Love E
LisaL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to e-

i just bought the newest issue of GQ with Mark on the cover. I read his amazing story and in one part of the artice he said that he dosen't drive anymore, that he has someone drive him around. He said it was a consultant he met on basketball diaries that was teaching Leo how to look more addicted. By any chance r u that guy? If so that is so awsome. U r so lucky to get to see him all the time and u got to work on the film with him and Leo. How amazing. This to me is one of the best films ever. U r a very lucky person to know someone as unbelivable as Mark. His life was unbelivable. How he could go from jail to a respected actor is amazing. He gives hope to all the street kids. Please tell him what an inspiration he has been for everyone. U r very lucky

------------------
LisaL

[This message has been edited by LisaL (edited 08 July 2000).]
witchhazel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-
This movie is based on the real life of Jim Carroll. Heard of him? He is old like me-ha! Anyway, it is a great commentary on how kids can and do get mixed up with drugs and how they can spiral so far from what is balanced and good. I think that this movie should be shown in Junior & Senior high schools- as an illustration on how bad it can get and how in the end- drugs just leave you with stories to tell and regrets to remember.
witchhazel
christina*theoriginal*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone read the book? i laughed at the part where he talks about the guy (i cnat remember his name right now i'll have to look for it) who used to take IT out and the cops came and cuffed him and his "*" was hangin out...lol there's alot of other funny stuff (at times an uncomfortable kind of funny )along with reality. it was really good and i read it a few years before i saw the movie and have yet to find anyone else who has read it. it is really good. the last line in the book kinda sums (sp?) it all up on how most would feel in that situation. what confused me was in the book they rob a pharmacy and in the movie they rob an ice cream store and Mark's character was created by two diff people from the book, Herbie and Mickey... alot didnt make it in the movie but it was still pretty good.

Freddie C is the name of the guy that i mentioned earlier.

[This message has been edited by christina*theoriginal* (edited 11 July 2000).]
TiffyTiff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketball Diaries is a great movie! Leo and Mark are great druggies. Loranne Bracco (my moms cusion) is also great in it as Leo's mom. Also you know how Mark has the little goffy side in The Big Hit and Boogie Nights well this is a far from that side as you can get. The only bad thing is that they sniff there nose like 9 million times in the movie and it drove me out of my mind so it shows I can never date a drug addict! ha!

------------------
*Tiffany*
danni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this film , there is something about it that really makes you think, i saw it first a couple of yeasr ao , then i started to get really interested in mark and bought it.He is such a good actor, especially when they are playing in the basketball game when they took the downers by mistake-i love that bit. Although it is a very serious film there is one bit that always makes me laugh, after Jim has had that horrible....erm..experience in the public toilets with that man , he goes to find Mickey and they try to score off a guy sitting on a bench, as they walk away mark says 'my ****ing nuts are iching me like crazy' i laughed so much when i heard it, but it's relly faint and you have to listen for it
love the film!
cya
Danni
rowanash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I watched Basketball Diaries. Man, what a depressing story. Anyways, I liked the film, it was pretty good. The first time I laughed was when 'Mickey' imitated the Irish priest - Wahlberg did a great accent. There were a couple of other funny parts in the film (though it was a dark movie) but I can't remember them now.

What struck me as funny was how the film reminded me of DiCaprio's The Beach. DiCaprio narrated both tales and both times, his character fell into himself, into his own dark, crazy surreality in his mind. Eeek. Spooky.
Melody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Christina*theoriginal*,

There's a book on Baskeball Diaries?
Katya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To MELODY and everyone who watched the film or/and read the book.

Melody, yes, there's a book of the same name by Jim Carrol. It's his real diary. The film on the story is compressed and is like a seadrop which contains everything sea has in itself.

As for the film. Well, I think I'd rewatch it -- so many memories have just stired up in my mind. But I should say that this film was not an easy stuff to watch. Very depressing, indeed. Even after a week had passed I still had that bitter aftertaste and was lost in my thoughts now and then. When I watched this movie for the first time I didn't look at Mark, and that was understandable, 'cos Leo did the main part. And did it amasingly realistic. I even thought for some time that he was a junkie. But there was something familiar in the face of the guy next to him. And it is very important fo me now to pay the greater attention to Mark. Once again I am going to plunge into that dirty sticky world of drug addiction just to take out a shiny image of Mark and his talent.
To those who are gonna watch the Basketball Diaries or read this book for the first time or once again - enjoy the watching and reading and don't ever let that monster called drugs into your lives and the lives of your children.
By the way, are they (I mean Leo and Mark)friends or someting? Who are Mark's closest friends, tell me.

Katya, Russia (excuse my English...)
Angel1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie was grat I mean not only did they get the message across about being you know drug users and everything. When the were in the bar and there old teammate was on TV talking about how he got to the championships and everything it made me and Im sure a lot of other people realize that drugs ruin your life and what you have worked for it to become.
Melody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure , i'll be looking for the book. it's probably even more intense than the movie.Maybe there'll be more info in the book than the movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Basketball Diaries All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: