Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
yards info ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
*TiGerLiLy*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what premiere had to say about the movie in their fall movie preview issue:
----------------------------------------

The Yards
THE PITCH: An ex-con (Mark Wahlberg) goes to see his uncle (James Caan) about a job in his subway-repair firm, but is sidetracked by his best friend (Joaquin Phoenix), who lures him into a world of murder, corruption, and familial tragedy.
THE BIG PICTURE: First developed at Fox, this drama of working-class life in New York City became Miramax's after Fox balked at the budget (originally $16 million, it eventually reached $20 million). Phoenix compares the rehearsal process with Wahlberg, Caan, and supporting players Charlize Theron, Faye Dunaway, and Ellen Burstyn to "what I imagine a group therapy session would be like." For his part, Caan simply compares director James Gray (Little Odessa) to The Godfather's Francis Ford Coppola: "He likes actors, and Francis likes actors. A lot of directors would just as soon make a picture without 'em." ("It's a weakness," counters Gray with a laugh. "Don't let them tell you it's a strength.") A perfectionist who might do 40 takes of a two-line scene, Gray himself paid to reshoot the movie's final scene, of Wahlberg on a train, waiting six months for the actor to finish The Perfect Storm. ("I shouldn't be telling you," Gray says, "but that's a wig he's wearing. I also wanted his expression to be a little different.") The tinkering led to rumors of intervention by Miramax cochairman Harvey Weinstein, but Gray insists that he was allowed to make the movie his way. For a price. "He got his pound of flesh," Gray says of Weinstein. "I owe him, like, 700 movies at cut-rate prices." (Miramax, October 20)
http://www.premiere.com/Premiere/Article/New/0,2050,175_4370_3,00.html

--------------------------------

Mark has a wig on at the end??? maybe cuz they needed his hair short, but it was long b/c after TPS he couldnt cut it b/c he needed it long for Metal God... ? hmmmm or is the wig looks something completely different? i can't wait to find out!
and I guess we know why the date was bumped, the director wanted to re-shoot scenes. And I think it was bumped from Sept. 8 b/c there are actually a lot of movies opening that day. oct 20 is probably less crowded.

Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2000 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you thinking of going to the Toronto Film Fest, here's the screening times

SCREENINGS: Wed., Sept. 13, 6:30 pm, Uptown ... Fri., Sept. 15, 9:15 am, Cumberland.

Lianne

Ticket info is in my earlier post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Yards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: