Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
sound off! (and no spoilers, either - lol)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Happening
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missrenee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: sound off! (and no spoilers, either - lol) Reply with quote

those of you who've seen the movie, tell us what you think!

Gloria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: sound off! (and no spoilers, either - lol) Reply with quote

[quote="missrenee"]those of you who've seen the movie, tell us what you think![/quote]

Just seen it here in Toronto. It's not that good a movie, but it's not that bad either. Mark does sensitive good but the dialogue/script was dreadful. No chemistry between Zooey & Mark & I didn't like her as I think she was miscast. What's with the eyes? There were some lovely scenes with Mark ... but the scene with the plastic plants was just too much altho very funny ... I think it it's going to make lots of money altho it might open well, but it won't last.

Sorry ...

Gloria
dianafromchicago

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: sound off! (and no spoilers, either - lol) Reply with quote

Just seen it here in Toronto. It's not that good a movie, but it's not that bad either. Mark does sensitive good but the dialogue/script was dreadful. No chemistry between Zooey & Mark & I didn't like her as I think she was miscast. What's with the eyes? There were some lovely scenes with Mark ... but the scene with the plastic plants was just too much altho very funny ... I think it it's going to make lots of money altho it might open well, but it won't last.

Sorry ...

Gloria[/quote]

I agree its was not a bad movie but not a good one i went to go see it today in chicago wiht some of my frinds, they like it but had other thoughts then me, this is what i thought. There are some parts that are funny, which i didn't see coming since it was a thriller. in some parts of it i was like OMG AND WTF WHATS GOING ON. But as the movie went on it was interesting but not so much. I believe mark did a good job in this movie, he work from what he got from hes co-workers. I agree wiht gloria there was no chemistry with mark and zooey, but when u go see it u will understand why there chacters didn't have chemistry during the movie and just a little bit at the end. There are some sweet parts in the movie with mark and the little girl it was too cute. I believe thats the way he is with his kids. It will make it big during the weekend and the next couple of weeks but then it could go down hill, this is just what i think.

Diana
Gloria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: sound off! (and no spoilers, either - lol) Reply with quote

[quote="dianafromchicago"]Just seen it here in Toronto. It's not that good a movie, but it's not that bad either. Mark does sensitive good but the dialogue/script was dreadful. No chemistry between Zooey & Mark & I didn't like her as I think she was miscast. What's with the eyes? There were some lovely scenes with Mark ... but the scene with the plastic plants was just too much altho very funny ... I think it it's going to make lots of money altho it might open well, but it won't last.

Sorry ...

Gloria[/quote]

I agree its was not a bad movie but not a good one i went to go see it today in chicago wiht some of my frinds, they like it but had other thoughts then me, this is what i thought. There are some parts that are funny, which i didn't see coming since it was a thriller. in some parts of it i was like OMG AND WTF WHATS GOING ON. But as the movie went on it was interesting but not so much. I believe mark did a good job in this movie, he work from what he got from hes co-workers. I agree wiht gloria there was no chemistry with mark and zooey, but when u go see it u will understand why there chacters didn't have chemistry during the movie and just a little bit at the end. There are some sweet parts in the movie with mark and the little girl it was too cute. I believe thats the way he is with his kids. It will make it big during the weekend and the next couple of weeks but then it could go down hill, this is just what i think.

Diana[/quote]

I agree with you Diana, and I loved the two scenes with the little girl & Mark when he hugged her & the one with the mood ring. I loved the scene when Mark and Zooey were talking behind the wall. The bit when people laughed was mainly because of the terrible dialogue. I also meant to say that it might open well but will trail off. It'll be interesting. But not one of Mark's better movies. I think MAX PAYNE is going to do way much better. But he sure looked hot in some scenes.

Gloria Smile
heatherleigh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it last night with some friends. The theatre was PACKED - people were even sitting on the stairs. That's something I haven't seen before. Anyway, I thought it was ok, not Mark's best, but I think that was due to the script. He had some good lines that went over really well, and then others that just seemed inappropriate for the situation. I agree with the comments about Zoe, she just fell flat for me. I was pleasently suprised about the funny parts, they were a welcome reprieve for me.

So, I don't thik I'll be buying the DVD, but go out there and see show your support for Mark and see it for yourself.

Heather
ButtercuplovesMark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sw it lst nite with my older sis, Heather. I agreed wth every1 here........i didnt lke the storyline/dialogue. Mark's character ws vry funny, charming & sweet. Did any1 else, get it or no? 4 me, i didnt get it Well, i sorta of got it..but it didnt make sense 2 me........If, u sw the Sixth Sense....u get it. Coz, Joel's character he sees dead people. But, ths movie, u dnt get it......John Leguizamo's character ws poorly done. Their ws no spark in him. Hw can i say ths, wthout spoilng it? Well, if sum1 knws wht im tlkng abt, maybe u can explain it bttr......Oh, yeah their ws no action 2 ths moive. Im action person.

I luv John in The Kill Point. Nw, his character hd spark in it, stll a bad guy.

Heather, i agreed wth u, i wuldnt buy the DVD...whn it cums out. nt even 2 rented it again.....I support Mark Wahlberg......Mark stll my fave actor. I dnt hve all his movies, coz sum of thm i didnt lke.....Max Payne, tht sumthng i wnt 2 see.......i wonder, if theirs trailers out yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see it, but I have no choice Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: The Happening Reply with quote

I saw the movie and it was very good!I`m not agreed that the whole storyline and dialogue are bad.Mark`s movie is something that we`ve never seen before.I still think that he is very talented actor and all scenes in the movie with him are very cute,especially with the little girl. Surprised [/b]
forevermark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark is very talented actor ,but i think he should choose good films.
the happening is not very good!it disappointed me.
moccabutterfly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was too horrible. Not the best of Mark's films, but I did enjoy the comedy very much Very Happy
Raee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY REVIEW:
First of all...... This movie was absolutely brilliant! for those who were having a fit over dialogue and connection between the lead actors.. I don't see the problem. The dialogue was natural and the emotion within the actors toward each other as characters was also natural and very much there.

The movie was suspensful for me it made my breathing uneasy. It made me stare and wonder. I loved it! The sequence of events was planned out well. There was comedy in this film - true and there was drama, and also thrills. The realisticness of the gore'ish parts was .. oh my god and when the people are falling from the top of that building like seen in the trailer - when you see that part.. You just... The.. sound of the impact was way.. Way too real.

For me the film will remain in my mind for quite sometime, the concept makes you think and just the "WHAT IF" question appears there and you just realise how insignifiecant we are, how easy it would be for something like this to happen. Nature is one force you shouldn't mess with and the thing is we humans do mess with it. There's a meaning to this film. Quite deep and some people will get it. Others just won't. And there is more than one message to be obtained.. A sequences of thoughts/theories will be thrown at you - your mind is the key to answering them. And emotion is your driver to entertainment - to feel you need to be "in there" try picturing yourself there and you'll see just how scary it really is.

So without furher a do, I therefore love this film!
Mark Wahlberg is a fabulous actor as we know Very Happy.

There is one part in the film that is truly truly wow - the emotion, the sadness from it is just....speechless.
I recommend 'mature' and open minded people to see this film. Someone who is prepared to "think".

Oh and with all that been said... I would deffinately see it again. I would deffinately buy it and I DEFFINATELY love it. Can't wait to get the DVD now :O Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raee"][u]MY REVIEW:[/u]
First of all...... This movie was [b]absolutely brilliant![/b] for those who were having a fit over dialogue and connection between the lead actors.. I don't see the problem. The dialogue was natural and the emotion within the actors toward each other as characters was also natural and very much there.

The movie was suspensful for me [b]it made my breathing uneasy[/b]. It made me stare and wonder. I loved it! The sequence of events was planned out well. There was comedy in this film - true and there was drama, and also thrills. The realisticness of the gore'ish parts was .. oh my god and when the people are falling from the top of that building like seen in the trailer - when you see that part.. You just... The.. sound of the impact was way.. Way too real.

For me the film will remain in my mind for quite sometime, the concept makes you think and just the [b]"WHAT IF"[/b] question appears there and you just realise how insignifiecant we are, how easy it would be for something like this to happen. Nature is one force you shouldn't mess with and the thing is we humans do mess with it. There's a meaning to this film. Quite deep and some people will get it. Others just won't. And there is more than one message to be obtained.. A sequences of thoughts/theories will be thrown at you - your mind is the key to answering them. And emotion is your driver to entertainment - to feel you need to be "in there" try picturing yourself there and you'll see just how scary it really is.

So without furher a do, I therefore [i]love this film! [/i]
Mark Wahlberg is a fabulous actor as we know Very Happy.

There is one part in the film that is truly truly wow - the emotion, the sadness from it is just....speechless.
I recommend 'mature' and open minded people to see this film. Someone who is prepared to [b]"think"[/b].

Oh and with all that been said... I would deffinately see it again. I would deffinately buy it and I DEFFINATELY love it. Can't wait to get the DVD now :O Laughing[/quote]

I have to respond to your review of THE HAPPENING. You are so way off it's not funny. It is not a brilliant film, the dialogue was hokey, it wasn't a comedy but everybody laughs out loud a lot because it's hokey. Unfortunately if a person saw the trailer you wouldn't necessarily find the movie scary because they gave most of the movie away. I was not scared through most of the movie, just a little. I agree that the thudding noise of the people falling was very well done. I liked the opening, the music and a lot of the movie, but overall, it isn't that good. It's not Mark's genre although I thought in a lot of scenes he was good, but not all scenes. Zooey Deschanel was absolutely awful and there was no chemistry between them whatsoever. Their relationship & the reason they gave for it not being good, was stupid. Night could have told us more about them, they didn't fit. I loved Mark and the little girl's scenes, very moving. I love Mark's work. I've seen every movie he's ever done and own them, he didn't work with a good script here and did the best he could.

I am a mature, openminded person and think all the time. This movie did not make me THINK. But after all is said and done, it's making money grossing over $116 million thus far!

90% of reviews aren't good, some are.

I would venture to say that Mark's next movie out this year MAX PAYNE will be a whole lot better for him. Smile
Raee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria it's just my opinion... When I say I recommend it for mature, open-minded and thinking people it doesn't necessarily mean everyone like that would have the same opinion as me. And I loved the film, is there something wrong with me saying that it's brilliant because I LIKE IT.

You've had your say with this film & you don't have to back it up again you know?. I believe that the leads did well (MY OPINION)... I wasn't sure with Zooey and Mark as a couple at first in the trailers but they worked it out in the film. Not every couple in movies have to be all over each other - everyone is different and to me it seemed more real than the hollywood created stuff- meaning it wasn't like Die Hard or something with things that are far-fetched and everyone has some plan or something.

If you don't agree with my review/opinion that's okay. But people degrade the film far too much (I'm not writing a good review because of that). I'm just explaining that I enjoyed it and I believe people don't SEE what is really HAPPENING here. And one more thing... Who are you to say that I'm FAR OFF .. I didn't say anything bad about your review I accepted it and left it as your opinion.... So how about leaving mine alone.

Sorry Gloria, if I sound very defensive but that is because I am right now. I don't like what you said about ME being FAR OFF because it has nothing to do with you... It's MY OPINION and I didn't say you HAD TO like it. Simple.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raee"][color=orange]Gloria[/color] it's just my opinion... When I say I recommend it for mature, open-minded and thinking people it doesn't necessarily mean everyone like that would have the same opinion as me. And I loved the film, is there something wrong with me saying that it's brilliant because I LIKE IT.

You've had your say with this film & you don't have to back it up again you know?. I believe that the leads did well (MY OPINION)... I wasn't sure with Zooey and Mark as a couple at first in the trailers but they worked it out in the film. Not every couple in movies have to be all over each other - everyone is different and to me it seemed more real than the hollywood created stuff- meaning it wasn't like Die Hard or something with things that are far-fetched and everyone has some plan or something.

[i]If you don't agree with my review/opinion that's okay[/i]. But people degrade the film far too much (I'm not writing a good review because of that). I'm just explaining that I enjoyed it and I believe people don't SEE what is really HAPPENING here. And one more thing... Who are you to say that I'm FAR OFF .. I didn't say anything bad about your review I accepted it and left it as your opinion.... So how about leaving mine alone.

Sorry Gloria, if I sound very defensive but that is because I am right now. I don't like what you said about ME being FAR OFF because it has nothing to do with you... It's MY OPINION and I didn't say you HAD TO like it. Simple.[/quote]

Well, I must say you're a bit touchy? Its only a review & I can't tell you how many letters I have written over the years to top critics in the US & here in Canada disagreeing with their reviews or agreeing with them actually. Not once have they written back such a defensive reply. But that's your problem, not mine. Also, NOT ONCE did I use the words FAR OFF so please reread my reply to you!!! The Happening, as I said, was not a good movie, but it wasn't all that bad either. There were moments where it was really good, except for Zooey as she was awful all the way thru.

I also never said that couples have to be all over each other, but these two characters had no chemistry of any description, none, nada, nothing, zilch! There has to be something between a couple you know.

I have not degraded the film. I've been honest, but you saying it's brilliant is the incorrect use of that word.
Raee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said the words
Gloria wrote:
You are so way off it's not funny
- actually it's kind of worse the way you really put it.

So however which way you take my reply that is up to you - I'm just trying to TELL you that YOU don't need to tell me what I should say and how I should feel about a movie. ---And if you can't see how you did just that... You have been constantly reminding me that it's NOT a brilliant film referring to me saying it's brilliant is WRONG and also that you are saying I'm way off. Those are the only things that have made me defensive - I'm very sorry for making it an issue.... Sometimes YES I do get 'touchy' as you put it...

But I liked it, I loved it, I enjoyed it and I got my moneys worth. What I like and how I like it will be different to yours. So without further argument I end it here.

Brilliant is the word I used and that's the way it stays because that's what I see in the film - brilliance. Thank you Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Happening All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: