Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Mark Wahlberg helps juvenile offenders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Mark Wahlberg helps juvenile offenders Reply with quote

Mark Wahlberg helps juvenile offenders
By John Morgan, Spotlight Health, with medical adviser Stephen A. Shoop, M.D.
Mark Wahlberg can tell you in detail about the hardships juvenile offenders suffer in adult prison – many of which have serious health consequences. But the 32 year-old actor's knowledge wasn't gained from preparing for a new film role.

Wahlberg was prosecuted as an adult and incarcerated when he was 16 years old.

"My incarceration had a huge effect on me and it still does – from my dreams to my every day life and the decisions I make," says Wahlberg. "It affects everything – the people I interact with as well as the people I've had to disassociate my self from."

Wahlberg was able to get out of trouble and find blockbuster success in Hollywood starring in The Italian Job, Three Kings and Planet of the Apes.

Now as executive producer and narrator of Juvies, a documentary about America's failed juvenile justice system, Wahlberg is passionate about exposing the cruel hardships kids face in adult prisons. The national tour of the film kicks off in Los Angeles on Tuesday, March 16, at the Aratani/Japan America Theatre.

"Don't get me wrong – I'm not making excuses because there are kids who are extremely dangerous, no question," Wahlberg says. "But the system is simply not taking the time to deal with each individual case. For most of these kids, there is still the possibility of helping them before it's too late. I know. I am an example of that possibility."

Directed by Leslie Neale, the film reveals that the majority of kids who go into the juvenile system don't go on to commit crimes after they're 18. Yet while juvenile crime has dropped 41% in recent years, media coverage of youth crime has increased.

This skewed public perception of exploding youth crime led to all 50 states making it easier to prosecute juvenile offenders as adults. At the same time, the best deterrents for juvenile crime – good schools and youth programs — had their budgets cut. Today, more than 200,000 kids are prosecuted every year as adults.

Wahlberg says the health consequences to youth offenders are both tragic and cruel.

"Kids who are jailed with adults get sexually assaulted or beaten five times more than kids in juvenile facilities," Wahlberg states. "They're eight time more likely to commit suicide."

Many mental health experts are appalled by kids doing time in adult prisons.

No brainer

"It's insane," say psychotherapist John Schureman, who specializes in disruptive disorders. "To punish kids for an impulse problem when their brains – their frontal lobes — aren't even fully matured makes no sense. It is totally irrational."

And new scientific information from brain scans, genetics and molecular neurology seem to support this opinion.

Impulse problems arise from impairments of the frontal lobes or the region of the brain known as the executive control center. The frontal lobes are responsible for planning, organizing, inhibiting inappropriate behaviors, and controlling affect and emotion.

"This region of the brain continues to develop quite late in life – into the late teens and early 20s and perhaps even beyond," explains Elizabeth Sowell, an assistant professor of neurology at UCLA. "We have historically looked at normal adolescent behavior as being erratic. We now think that the late developing frontal lobe may be related to this normal sort of erratic behavior."

According to experts, if teenagers have frontal lobe impairments, they are often unable to remember when they were punished and cannot modify their behavior accordingly.

"Adolescents in general have this problem," Schureman says. "The kids in the juvenile and adult prison systems have it in spades."

Schureman says almost all of the kids shown in the film have defects in impulse control – either because of a learning disability, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or bipolar disorder. In fact, research indicates up to 80% of prison populations suffer from one or more of these three disorders.

"In terms of maturity, these kids are 30% behind – that means an 18 year-old is developmentally probably only 12," Schureman states. "What we're doing is taking impaired kids in their most crucial years of development when they could really benefit from help and we are putting them through a lengthy boot camp for crime and anti-social behavior."

Schureman explains that adolescents with immature frontal lobe development who are placed into adult prisons are traumatized even more.

"They will end up with post-traumatic stress disorder which will only further incapacitate their frontal lobe development – that's what PTSD does," Schureman says. "The PTSD from sexual abuse and assaults makes the problem worse. That's why there is such a high recidivism rate."

While approximately 70% of criminal offenders return to prison within five years, there is new hope for effective intervention and rehabilitation.

A study of prisoners in Pennsylvania showed that with proper medication for ADHD and bipolar disorder the recidivism rate dropped dramatically. If psycho-social intervention is combined with medication, the success rate increases up to 60%.

Rehabilitation

But too few adult prisons provide counseling and medications. Even inmate education programs have been cut, despite research that indicates the most successful strategy to prevent recidivism is literacy programs.

Literacy training not only provides inmates with better life skills, but the training itself has a positive effect on helping develop the frontal lobes.

"It's the concept that you use it or lose it," Schureman says. "If these kids are being trained how to discipline their minds, how to read and write and how to self-regulate their behavior instead of how to fend for their very survival – then we can have real impact."

Another effective rehabilitation strategy is called mentorship scaffolding.

"A strong external support system is exactly what these juvenile offenders need," Schureman offers. "While they of course have to be placed in a confined setting, these kids need more guardians, not guards. There is still a good chance they can be helped."

Wahlberg credits a local priest and his probation officers with helping him turn things around.

"Father Flavin was a huge influence in my life," Wahlberg states. "He was always trying to sway me to go in the right direction. In Dorchester, it was all right there – all the directions."

But despite the best of intentions, Wahlberg says he still got arrested four or five more times but did not get sent back to jail because his probation officers "had faith in me."

The Boogie Nights star is concerned that kids today aren't getting the crucial second chances that enabled him to turn his life completely around.

"If I were judged on what I did before I was 16 and convicted the way the kids are in the film, I'd be doing 150 years," Wahlberg says.

The actor hopes the film begins a national dialogue that eventually reverses the current trend of locking up youth offenders with adult inmates.

"I plan on doing everything I can to make sure as many people as possible see this film," he says. "Maybe people will see where I came from and see this film and realize these kids can actually still be helped because rehabilitation is in everyone's best interests."

In the meantime, Wahlberg plans to continue the work of his youth foundation.

"I am in a position where I can do a lot of good for kids like myself who growing up could easily go one way or the other," Wahlberg says. "If I can inspire some kids and help them to go the right way, hopefully that will help me make up for all the mistakes I made."

USATODAY.com http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlighthealth/2004-03-12-wahlberg_x.htm
Kazuko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Wahlberg Takes Crusade for Kids Personally

"Juvies" is the powerful new documentary that shows kids on trial as adults and being put away, some of them for life. It's the story of a criminal justice system that angers many, including the film’s celebrity narrator Mark Wahlberg.

Keeping kids out of adult prison is important to Mark Wahlberg, mainly because he's done the crime and he's done some time. "I spent a little time in jail myself," Wahlberg reveals. "I was tried as an adult when I was a juvenile."

Tried and convicted of assault, Wahlberg only did 45 days. But kids today are often sentenced to that many years ­ and Wahlberg thinks it’s a crime. "It just doesn't give anybody any hope for the future," he insists.

Fortunately for Wahlberg, he got a second chance, making music, movies and what he says is the best thing to ever happen to him -- a new baby daughter, now six months old. "She’s phenomenal, she’s just great," Wahlberg says.

The star of films like "Boogie Nights," "Planet of the Apes" and "The Italian Job," says the addition to his family has brought up some new issues. "There are a couple of films I've made that I'm not going to want my little girl to ever see."

Wahlberg also reveals to "Extra," that there's a sequel to "The Italian Job" in the works. "They’re writing it now, so we’ll see," he says. He also reveals that he will again costar with Oscar-winner Charlize Theron.

In the meantime, Wahlberg is all revved up about "Juvies," hoping to help troubled kids get a second chance. For more on Mark Wahlberg and "Juvies," don’t miss Wednesday’s edition of "Extra."
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/extra/0304/03_17d.html
LYNNE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Kaz
twinkle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so good to see Mark so passionate about something that is so important.
monito

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: help my friend brenda wiley Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes who can help me with information about clemency for my friend she arrested when she was 15 years and waived as an adult, 30 years to life. she is now in a state prison in new jersey.she did already 15 years and want to ask clemency , but she need support or more information, it's difficult for me to help her i live in the netherlands, her info is Brenda Wiley-# 14380
edna mahan correction facillity for woman-Northhall
po box 4004 -Clinton _new Yersey 8809 usa.
everything is welkom, please help us.greetings monito[/img][/b]
jgr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Brenda Wiley Reply with quote

Do you even know Brenda? I went to school with her for 13 years. She was not incarcerated at 15 she was 17. She brutally beat her mother and younger brother 50+ times each with an aluminum baseball bat. after that she proceeded to stab her mother more than 70 times and her brother more than 60 times until they both perished. I agree that youths should be treated differently but not a 17 year old who commits a crime such as this.
blogGreen88

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: adult adhd Reply with quote

Are you talking about adult adhd or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for adult adhd perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as comparison conference or audio conference call or laser hair removal.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.
blogGreen88

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: attention deficit disorder Reply with quote

Are you talking about attention deficit disorder or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for attention deficit disorder perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as spyware stormer or trampolin or horse trailers.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Juvies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: